It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules - Please read!


GUIDES ONLY please.

If you have any help/guide requests please use the appropriate section. Any new posts that are not guides may be removed completely.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
fastmike
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

DIY – Electric Rear Window Motors
Mazda 323f


Notes
I’m writing this guide for anyone else who wants there rear windows to be motorized. I bought a set of front motors and rails off ebay from a scrap car for £20. The proceedure for putting the front motors in the back doors is shown below. If you get the correct motors for the rear doors then it will be much easier. I had to do some modification to get the fronts to fit the rears as shown.

Here is what I got from Ebay:

Image

The window sits in a platform that runs up the rail, the platform is connected to cables which are connected via pulleys to the motor. When the motor turns the cables retract in one direction either pulling the platform up or down.

Image
These are the tools you’ll be needing, not shown is hacksaw and mole grips.


Image
Remove the door card, a screw in the door handle lever and clip in the window winder are all that are removed.


Image
Under the door card, remove the following bolts. I recommend using a marker pen to draw around the bolts so that you can correctly align them when you put it back together! I just used the indentation in the paint.


Image
There will be two blocks on the top of the sill these are to stop the window popping out too far, remove these.


Image
Wind the window down so you can get to the bolt and nut that hold the window in place. You don’t have to remove the nut, just losen it. You need to fully remove the bolt!


Image
Wind the window down further to loosen the other nut. (2 nuts and one bolt hold the window to the platform)


Image
Lift the window out the door, it may catch on the rubber seals.


Image
The window comes out like this. A very green tint!

Locate these nuts;

Image
Image
These three nuts hold the main rail in place. Remove these, they may be locktighted so hold the thread with mole grips.


Image
Through the polythene seal remove the nuts holding the window winder mechanism.


Image
The main guide should come out fairly easily, the hand winder part will squeeze past the inside guide just about.


Image
Now the fun begins! The hand mechanism comes out like this.


Image
Unhook the cable with a thin screwdriver, remove the nylon holder from the frame.



Image
At the other end the cable guide has a clip, depress it and slide the guide out.


Image
Remove the cables from the centre hold.


Image
This is the motor assembly from ebay I got. A bit rusty! What we need to remove is the cables and motor portion only.

The difference between the front door rails and rear door rails is tiny, the rear is about 10mm shorter and has less of a curve. The cables are slightly different length which I have found a way to accommodate. I’m not sure if you can use the original ‘hand’ cables with the motor, but its something you can look at, I decided to move the cable sheath further away from the pulley, increasing the cable length! If you don’t do this, the cable will be slack and the window will move about 10mm if you moved it by hand.


Image
Use the same technique to remove the cables from the scrap runners and put the motor and your door window rail together. First of all we need to do now is hook the cables up!


Image
This is the first problem I found. This cable guide is the wrong way around. The reason is the rear doors and front doors mount the motors in different positions to the rails. We need to take the cable guide of the hand rail cable. We do this by cutting a groove in the cable guide and extracting the cable.


Image
Hold the guide in the mole grips – you can use a vice. Cut two lines either side like this;


Image
Remove the cable. Do the same for the guide on the old set of cables. Then swap them over! Put the cables into the cable guide.
Now the cable guide will fit on the correct side of the frame!


Image
On the other end of the runner, I’ve marked a section where I want the cable to start – where it comes from the grey cable tube. I’m going to cut a tab out so that the white nylon clip will fit in it.

Image
Image

Image
For reference this is what the motor assembly ‘should’ look like. While I was doing this, the cables got snagged up and I had to wind them up again. Just try to make sure the cables are tight before you put the reel back in, and pull the blue bits apart so that the cable is compressed. A bit of grease in there wouldn’t hurt either.


Hopefully it will look like this now!

Image

Look at this picture, everything is set up just right. The springs on the motor are taught – like they were on the original runner, this means no play in the window! The orientation should be like this too, the motor is lying the wrong way up in the picture however. Now is a perfect time to test everything out – this way you know the cables arent snagged, and the motor will work in the door.




I put the runner and motor back in the door. Now the problem I found was positioning the motor, there is no perfect place for it to fit. Since this was made for the front doors there is less space and almost no mechanical fit. Fear not, I found an ideal spot. Basically the motor fits (just right) between the rail and inner door skin, if you can manage to hold the motor in that position while fitting the runner, you can tighten the nuts up and the motor will be held in that position. Check the cables aren’t too much of a right angle and it should be fine. Just try and get it how it looks in these pictures and it should be fine!

Image
Image
Image

Test the motor moves the runner to the top and to the bottom before proceeding. If it gets caught you’ll have to find out why and fix it.

Move the window up half way ready for the glass to be put back in!


Image
When putting the glass back in, once again look at the rubbers, if it isn’t going in, then its getting caught on something!

Image
Fit the stop blocks back in, to stop the glass popping out too far!
One final check the windows go up and down to your satisfaction, then its your job to fit the switches and power cables and what not.

Took myself about one hour to do a door. As I said this was a modified job because the parts used were from the front doors. If you find some rear door rails I expect that they will fit without modification, all you’d need do is swap the rails over.

The result: Electric windows for the bargain price of £20!
:compress:


Last edited by fastmike on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
stuartspel
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:51 am 
Moderator Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:14 pm
Posts: 4751
Reputation: 42

Top guide Mike, definately doing that one....

Hope your prepared for some really knobby questions mate - heres the first.

You dont mention any wiring in the guide, I take it that the rear doors already have a connector for the motor and for a switch.....?


Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

I should have mentioned this. No the rear doors do not have the wiring!

I'm still in the process of wiring it up.

The best way to wire it up is to put a power cable from the battery/fuse box with a fuse (say 15A) and pull the cable through the doors wiring harness, connect it to a switch and mount it on the door card.

If you want to put a switch in the front of the car then it means doing the same thing again with another power cable/fuse but mounting the switch in the front of the car.

Oh and you need to buy a proper window switch, I've checked with a few motor factors and none sell the 3 way reverse switches you need. So I've ordered a switch of ebay for £2 (off an escort lol).


Top
 Profile  
 
Stuart McB
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:01 pm
Posts: 1601
Location: Worcestershire
Reputation: 1

Great visual guide fastmike. Just a quicky. Those winder motors are the same as my old Rover 600 front window set up. So if your stuck for new motor parts or the winder mechanism they should fit. More 600's in the breakers than 323's. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
richardesty
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:51 pm 
Club Elder Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:29 pm
Posts: 7343
Location: Louth
Reputation: 27

Stunning work there mate......

Are you leaving the old manual winders in situ, if not how are you going to cover the holes in the door cards?

All the same, think I'll leave mine how they are - I always think the F looks shite with the windows down, especially the rears as they don't go all the way down. Oh - and I can reach both the rears from the drivers seat ;)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
shadowake
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:28 pm
Posts: 606
Location: Warrington
Reputation: 0

richardesty wrote:
I always think the F looks shite with the windows down, especially the rears as they don't go all the way down


mmm dont they? Mine do :drunken:


Top
 Profile  
 
JDM
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:41 am
Posts: 1707
Location: Preston, Lancashire (Formerly South Africa)
Reputation: 1

bloody brilliant guide fella :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Drake
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 417
Location: South West UK
Reputation: 0

Great guide, superbly illustrated!... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
stuartspel
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:30 pm 
Moderator Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:14 pm
Posts: 4751
Reputation: 42

shadowake wrote:
richardesty wrote:
I always think the F looks shite with the windows down, especially the rears as they don't go all the way down


mmm dont they? Mine do :drunken:


.....mine do too.........


Top
 Profile  
 
Toe
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:34 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:48 pm
Posts: 320
Location: Ipswich
Reputation: 0

stuartspel wrote:
shadowake wrote:
richardesty wrote:
I always think the F looks shite with the windows down, especially the rears as they don't go all the way down


mmm dont they? Mine do :drunken:


.....mine do too.........


Mine too, think looks actually really good with all windows down, specially as the doors are frameless, gives the exclusive expensive sports car like feel!!


Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

Yeah mine go all the way down too, I could of left the handles in place but they would have no use!

I'm putting switches in the holes.


Top
 Profile  
 
DuFFMaN
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Posts: 1417
Location: West Midlands
Reputation: 0

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZDA-323F-ELECTR ... dZViewItem

Ta Daaaaaaa :cheers:


Top
 Profile  
 
JDM
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:41 am
Posts: 1707
Location: Preston, Lancashire (Formerly South Africa)
Reputation: 1

good find duffman :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Mark.T
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:44 am 
Club Treasurer Offline
User avatar

My Car: Eunos Roadster

Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:50 am
Posts: 9492
Location: Weymouth, Dorset
Reputation: 17

Bladdy 'ell, what a find!!

The only other place I've seen one of those is in my car ;)

Good guide Mike, I'll put it on the web site as soon as I have a chance.


Mark

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

Hey that panel looks very tempting Duffman!

Mark.T could you host the pictures for me? My webspace is going to be cancelled in Octobre. :tongue8:


Top
 Profile  
 
Mark.T
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:07 am 
Club Treasurer Offline
User avatar

My Car: Eunos Roadster

Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:50 am
Posts: 9492
Location: Weymouth, Dorset
Reputation: 17

Yep, fine - I copy them to the site anyway.

Mark

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
IOW323F
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:13 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: Isle Of Wight
Reputation: 18

Went to the scrappys today and got this.
Image
Only cost a fiver, grabbed it incase anyone is intrested.
If you are give us a shout


Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

IOW323F - that is one good find!

I've just started wiring in today, got some pictures to upload.

It really hurt my head the wiring side of it is very complicated, and I was only doing one switch!

I don't think I am upto a 4 switch panel like that just yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

We continue...

Back under the door card, I pre-wired a switch up. This particular switch comes from a Ford Escort (£2 off ebay). It has a LED built in - this can be wired up too. On the back is 7 slots for the connection. 2 are for the LED and 5 are for the wiring of the motor.

Diagram of the connector:
Code:
LED | Mtr
Gd. | +ve
--  | Gd.
Mtr | LED

+ve = battery.
Gd. = ground.
Mtr = Motor.


I had to open the switch up to figure out the workings of it, and took me an hour to come up with the correct way to wire it. That diagram above might not be the same for other switches.

Image
The switch wired up

Image
A local ground point in the door.

Image
The motor connection wired up.

Image
Next I had to feed a cable through to the door from the car, i removed the rubber boot on this cable feed.

Image
Fed the cable through

Image
Into the door itself.

Image
Pulled it through a hole in the door skin

Image
Wired it upto the switch.

Image
I had to open up a hole in this connector block (which passes through the B pillar). I pulled the cable through this.

Image
Like so.

I pulled the cables through make sure everything worked ok (switch and window), before pulling the switch through the hole left by the window winder and tidying up the cables.

Image
Image
Image

I have bought a 15A fuse/fuse holder to put in the cable, I will run the power cable to the fuse box and find the iginition live - I dont want the windows to operate without the ignition!


Last edited by fastmike on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
IOW323F
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:13 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: Isle Of Wight
Reputation: 18

Mike/or anyone else, if you are after genuine switches these can easly unsoldered and reused. And who said recycling was boring.


Top
 Profile  
 
Stuart McB
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:01 pm
Posts: 1601
Location: Worcestershire
Reputation: 1

Sneeky devil with that Ford switch. Looks good too. About the right size


Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

:colors: :colors: :colors:

Well I have done it! I wired up the power lead to an ignition live in the fuse box and we have power windows :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Now i got to wire the other side and that's all folks.

Here is a video of the result

They are actually quieter and smoother than the front doors :compress:


Last edited by fastmike on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

Image
I found this connector has a ground (left), ignition live (middle) and permanant live (right). Connect the power cable to this, you can split the power to either side of the car, but use a seperate fuse for either side just in case. A Volt meter comes in handy here.


Image
The usual mess during testing!


Last edited by fastmike on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:41 am 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Excellent guide Mike, big up :D:D

And thanks for finding that power feed, that'll save me MUCH bother :D:D

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
SzaboZE
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:03 am
Posts: 42
Location: Hungary
Reputation: 0

Hmm, nicely log :) I have bought full set (motors with cables and switches too!!). I builted in to car. I found 12V on rear doors on brown cables. But the new switchboard not controlling rear windows (?). I put two cables to ground on rear switch, and windows goes up-down (without ground does not work), but front switches not functioning. :( I will checking all cables.

SzaboZE


Top
 Profile  
 
SzaboZE
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:03 am
Posts: 42
Location: Hungary
Reputation: 0

Hi, I get circuit diagram and connectors pinout and discovered, the prefacelifted model's cables and connectors on front doors are different as after facelift. I bought prefacelift set for my after facelift 323F. Cablebond different with number of cables and some colour. The switch board pinout is same, but cable colours are different. I will checking the different, and will refering.

SzaboZE


Top
 Profile  
 
super_jay
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:09 pm
Posts: 69
Location: LONDON
Reputation: 0

This should be a sticky! No Doubt!!


Top
 Profile  
 
SzaboZE
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:03 am
Posts: 42
Location: Hungary
Reputation: 0

I checked electrical diagrams, and discovered two cables are changed in facelift! RR door motor wire connected to the switch 12V (in). I connected RR cabel to RR pin and connected 12V to switch and was happy :)


Top
 Profile  
 
fastmike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

Good research. Im sure it will be useful to anyone wanting rear windows.


Top
 Profile  
 
keifling
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Posts: 175
Reputation: 14

have everything i need now but does anyone have some pix to fresh this with?
its a bit daunting without any..


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Karma functions powered by Karma MOD © 2007, 2009 m157y