Club323F
http://www.club323f.com/forum/

Rear seat bolster removal
http://www.club323f.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58548
Page 1 of 1

Author:  SerenaJ [ Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Rear seat bolster removal

I'm taking out the old interior - can someone tell me how to get the rear side bolsters out?

I'm praying I don't have to remove half the boot trim to get to some awkward bolt or other ...

Cheers!

S

Author:  Dark_Jon [ Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

You need to jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and the arch trim. Then, drop out the petrol tank and you'll access to the under side of the car proper. From there, have a good look around and then put everything back :badgrin:


As for the bolsters, they should just need a tug to come out, much like the rear seat squab. if I remember correctly they need to go upwards to come out? as one of the clips is angled down. Anyway, I don't recall there being any bolts or anything. Look at the back of your leather ones and see what the attachments are and go from there

Happy to make things appear more confusing

Jon :)

Author:  SerenaJ [ Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

Dark_Jon wrote:
You need to jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and the arch trim. Then, drop out the petrol tank and you'll access to the under side of the car proper. From there, have a good look around and then put everything back :badgrin:


:salute:
*runs outside and starts jacking up the car*

Quote:
As for the bolsters, they should just need a tug to come out, much like the rear seat squab. if I remember correctly they need to go upwards to come out? as one of the clips is angled down. Anyway, they just pull out.

Happy to make things appear more confusing


Just for a moment there ... ! OK cheers, I'll have a go tomorrow ;)

S

Author:  BRV-6 [ Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

[quote="Dark_Jon"]You need to jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and the arch trim. Then, drop out the petrol tank and you'll access to the under side of the car proper. From there, have a good look around and then put everything back :badgrin:

:lol: Had a real crap day, then spotted this :lol: I like :p

I remember having to take out the boot plastic trim serena, Now that might just be me, being overly cautious ( anal ) :p

the two side bolsters have a nut holding them in place, you'll need to remove the boot plastic to gain access to this nut.. if memory serves... :?

Edit..

there should be a hoop.. if you like, at the bottom of your bolster, this hoop goes over a thread, then a (10mm i think ) nut holds it in place.
The angled one at the top is where I'm having a brain fart :-p

hope that helps.... :santa:

Author:  Dark_Jon [ Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

BRV-6 wrote:
there should be a hoop.. if you like, at the bottom of your bolster, this hoop goes over a thread, then a (10mm i think ) nut holds it in place.


Think you're right now you mention that, and most things seem to be 10 or 14mm on the F.

Def didn't remove any trim panels on mine to remove them though.

Think its: undo nut, pull bottom hoop off of thread, and then push upwards towards the roof/rear hatch to slide top bent hoop out. I remember the leather ones being a bit stiffer to go in as there isn't as much give in the top of the bolster like with the cloth ones.

At worst just go in from the outside, angle grinder will have the flank of the car off in no time and the bolster should just fall out :)

Author:  paul323f [ Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

Correct :)

Author:  HughieW [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

Yep - there's a rounded hook at the top of the bolster, which hooks over the rear boot trim - you should be able to pull upwards quite hard on the bolster to unhook that, then behind it at the bottom is a 10mm bolt. You'll need to remove the boot trim to get to that though!

The boot trim is dead simple to remove though :)

Author:  Marc S [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

Is the hoop not at the bottom of the seat bit, accessed by lifting it at bit. Hang on, that could be the BG...old age, too many cars... :lol:

Author:  Dark_Jon [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

I'm sure the nut was at the bottom and the hook one at the top. And I definately didn't remove any boot trim to do mine :?

Author:  SerenaJ [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was really simple, as it turned out: the long hoop of metal at the end fits over a captive bolt on the side of the car and is secured by a nut and washer. It's easily accessible as it's not underneath the bolster, but below it:

Image

Image

I must have missed it last night as it was getting dark. It's really obvious in daylight. I didn't have to remove any trim, it was in view once the back seat was out. Meanwhile the hook in the middle of the bolster keeps it in place by hooking over this plastic lip:

Image

I'll put up all today's photos later. I have the back seats & bolsters fitted but I'm ready to throw a large tantrum over the bolts holding in the front seats. I just can't get them loose. Sundance currently has a two-tone interior, cloth in the front, leather in the back :lol:

S

EDIT: was a 12mm spanner, as were all the bolts securing the folding back seats. The front seat securing bolts are 14.

Author:  HughieW [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

Quote:
I'll put up all today's photos later. I have the back fitted but I'm ready to throw a large tantrum over the bolts holding in the front seats. I just can't get them loose.


They're known for being difficult to remove - more force needed is all it is! Get a decent socket/bar with a long extension on it and pull, making sure your socket is straight. :thumbleft:

Author:  SerenaJ [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

HughieW wrote:
They're known for being difficult to remove - more force needed is all it is! Get a decent socket/bar with a long extension on it and pull, making sure your socket is straight. :thumbleft:


Yep, I couldn't find a long enough socket bar, and the socket kept slipping off because of the angle. I'll have to find a proper breaker bar/extension I think.

Dad has offered me a "nut cracker". Not sure if I'd be able to replace those bolts though?

S

Author:  HughieW [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

The bolts are specific so I wouldn't try that :lol: just use a bigger socket extension :lol:

Author:  Dark_Jon [ Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

Douse it with WD40 (careful not to get it all on the carpet!) and leave over night to let it penetrate. Mine are/were stiff as there was corrosion on the thread part. Then when reassembling put a dab of copper grease on the thread, should help in case you need to remove them again in future (like fitting a black/dark grey carpet :lol: )

Author:  jinglebells [ Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear seat bolster removal

... and I recommend a hexagon socket, not a "double-hex" one.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/