It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules - Please read!


Remember to start your thread with the model of the car (BG, BA, BJ etc)

Explained in detail here



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Author Message
andym323
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:00 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

WOOHOO, MY PC LIVES :D (And i'm back in the room) :p

Right, been a while since I updated Meanie's thread, I had every intention of posting all the pics we took during the BP GT install (thanks Lee, Nathan and Hugs) and the G series gearbox install, (thanks Hugs) but.......

I have more serious issues to deal with :(

While removing the interior in preparation for this years track days back in May, I noticed a 10p sized flake of rust behind the back seat squab, didn't have time to investigate properly so I put on the to do list and decided to investigate post Japfest Rock!

So when I finally got round to removing the rear seat side bolsters and the boot trim, the revalations were not good... not good at all!!!!

I'll post pics later once I've uploaded them but basically, there are holes in the front tops of the rear strut towers, holes where the rear washer bottle sits and on the opposite side, a hole at the bottom of the passenger side strut tower, through both panels and uncomfortably close to the two spot welds, holes forming at two points in between the strut towers and perforations along the inside lip of the boot opening along where the weather seal attaches :(

To say I'm a bit devastated would be a bit of an understatement, especially after all the money I spent on getting her welded up 6 years ago and all the hard work that has been done over the last two years. :(

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

Sorry to hear that man!
I've seen this happening now on a few cars - only makes sense to fit completely new strut towers. Hope you can get it sorted out soon!


Top
 Profile  
 
Zippy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:11 pm
Posts: 557
Location: Colchester
Reputation: 1

I no, rubbish!

TBH - it might be time for a re-shell? (Space I guess is the luxury required here) but with a fresh shell, it will be properly stripped so you can sort out and rust-proof a shell as stock, and then just simples* unbolt and move across to new shell. I do reckon that would be less work than trying to patch weld between everything anyway. Food for thought anyways. Image

*not really simples, but relatively so :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Marc S
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline
User avatar

My Car: 1st Gen RX7

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 am
Posts: 13779
Location: "Rust?...I ain't got time to rust"
Reputation: 95

In my experience, once you start welding, you never really stop. Once the rust monkeys start to get in there, you'll always be chasing them, until you've replaced almost the whole car :(

_________________
Image

Paragon Auto Finishing
Professional vehicle detailing & valeting, specialising in paint correction and enhancement
Servicing, repairs, and undersealing also available
Discounts available for Gold Members :)


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:48 am 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Gotta try though, I can't give up on the old girl just yet :)

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
Marc S
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:25 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline
User avatar

My Car: 1st Gen RX7

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 am
Posts: 13779
Location: "Rust?...I ain't got time to rust"
Reputation: 95

Never give up mate, just keep on going :)

_________________
Image

Paragon Auto Finishing
Professional vehicle detailing & valeting, specialising in paint correction and enhancement
Servicing, repairs, and undersealing also available
Discounts available for Gold Members :)


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:15 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Aye, amen to that, steel arrived today, more than enough for the job, including some heavier gauge stuff to make plates to cover the tops of the struts :thumbright:

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

Yes, good to hear that :)


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

So, what's new here? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
maZZda
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:04 pm
Posts: 1575
Location: Bulgaria
Reputation: 4

I'm curious too.. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Karma functions powered by Karma MOD © 2007, 2009 m157y