It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules - Please read!


Remember to start your thread with the model of the car (BG, BA, BJ etc)

Explained in detail here



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
andym323
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Yeah, yeah, I know :p

Been a bit busy with you know what ;)

We're talking nearly 720 , miles covered between 8pm Friday and 6pm Sunday!!!!, During which I taught myself trailer reversing, even managing to get the trailer reversed up my drive to the garage, and as anyone whose seem my drive will know reversing without a trailer is a mission in and of itself :)

Ive not updated the other stuff yet because I've not been able to upload the pics :(

Let me do the washing up and I'll give it a go :D

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Okay , so, I've still not managed to upload the pics I really need to update you all so you'll just have use your imagination for now ;)

In my previous post I mentioned a 720 mile round trip :D

Well, that trip was to collect my latest purchase...... which anyone who attended JAE this year will already know about :p

I am now the lucky owner of Matt's GTX engine, custom loom, ex - Shaggy's front mount intercooler, heavy duty stainless steel piping and full de cat stainless steel exhaust system 8)

So, after 13 years of ownership, my beloved Meanie is going to get a long awaited heart transplant :D

Not before time too, the Z5 is now smoking very badly indeed, no way she'll pass muster at next years MOT, hardly surprising though when you consider the current engine has well over 180,000 miles on it and the car over 284,000 :shock:

I've no idea how many miles are on the GTX engine, I'll ask Matt :)

I know most folk when presented with a GTX/GTR to slot into a BA would be thinking max horsepower, but, as usual, I'm going to be different and make things more complicated :badgrin:

I have a complete Type-R climate control system coming soon from Matt as well and being as I've always wanted it, that has to go on too, plus my Czech sourced headlamp washer jet kit :D

So space up front will be a bit of an issue, especially since I also plan on retaining the post Ford fogs and my wonderful Hella FF200 spots, I don't want to spoil Meanie's looks ;)

I also have to consider that Meanie is a daily driver, so reliability is key, I plan to go for pretty much standard power using as much of the stock GTX pipe work as possible and be clever about mounting an intercooler, probably where the resonator box would normally be (if I hadn't tossed it in the back of the shed in 2002). I'd like to use a pukka GTX cooler but I have consider the aircon condenser bottle is located there too so it might not fit, I have other options though, Mazda 6 diesel and MR2 turbo MK2 intercoolers look quite diddy :D

Before I can get started on the engine swap though I need space to work, the garage is still full of all the gardening shite so this weekend I start work on a shed base so I can get an engine stand in there (if anyone has one I could borrow, I'd be mighty grateful :) )

Watch this space folks, I plan to get this done by Japfest 2015, which I know will have some of you rolling about laughing and rightly so, it usually takes me years to plan and execute my ideas :badgrin:

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
smurf182
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: BA 1.5 Intrigue 'Womble'

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1929
Location: Redcar, Cleveland
Reputation: 20

very cool indeed andy 8), thats going to be a hell of a swap, and well done tracking down the headlight washer kit, something ive been trawling about looking for myself

_________________
https://imgur.com/aENfa44 Smurf182


Top
 Profile  
 
agonynine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:00 am
Posts: 57
Location: Bath
Reputation: 3

Good luck Andy, sounds like a tremendous project, can't wait to see the result! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Cheers guys :D

smurf, I'll ask my source if there are any still about, had mine for a couple of years (no surprise), had two origionally and the second went to Mattwho has since sold it on to another member, I'll see what I can do :)

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
smurf182
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:45 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: BA 1.5 Intrigue 'Womble'

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1929
Location: Redcar, Cleveland
Reputation: 20

that would be great if you could andy cheers,
ive taken apart an audi headlamp and trying to figure a way of retro fitting the self leveling mech for my HID's, so with the washer too mr policeman will be disapointed pulling me over 8)

_________________
https://imgur.com/aENfa44 Smurf182


Top
 Profile  
 
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 803
Location: Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland
Reputation: 13

Loving the "Club323F Technology Centre" :D


Top
 Profile  
 
sneakz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 552
Location: Hoogvliet, The Netherlands
Reputation: 6

Nice! :)

Good luck with it mate!

Some nice HP figures on a daily driver is nice, I drive my KLZE as a daily commute and love it. :) I also added lots of extra's which most people remove when installing KLZE lol.

Arne


Top
 Profile  
 
Zangas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:29 pm
Posts: 297
Location: Fundão - Portugal
Reputation: 2

Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

Really looking forward to this! Especially regarding engine management :)
But didnt you already have a complete BP drivetrain?


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:13 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Sure did Chris, with only 27,000 miles on it too :O I shall be saving that for emergencies or maybe the wifes Eunos Roadster :-)

Arne, which extras dude :-D

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
sneakz
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Posts: 552
Location: Hoogvliet, The Netherlands
Reputation: 6

Building in a/c (the plain EU one), ABS, still trying to find headlight sprayers. Also, a taller gearbox (most people want shorter gears for track use). Also adding extra sounddeadening.

Basically trying to get all the luxury stuff in instead of out lol.

Arne


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:52 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

You and me both chap :-D

Tried to join gtx.co.uk today for info and hopefully support, had to send an email to their admin because they've been having spam issues too, hopefully they'll let me in :-D

Currently trying to source a simple but effective brake upgrade for the swap, had a good lead but its not quite what I thought it was, does anyone know if GTR and V6 calipers are the same? ?? Sadly my EPC doesn't cover the GTR :-(

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
323F Rock
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F GTR

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:35 pm
Posts: 3782
Location: South Yardley, Birmingham, UK
Reputation: 20

Have a look at pad and disc sizes, I'll check piston diameters Monday :)
Might tell you all that info on breaksint actually :)

_________________
Image
"Drive to survive"
The 323F GTR 1.8 Turbo


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:01 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Checked just now, thanks for the reminder mate ;)

V6 discs are 274x22, sadly, they don't list the GTX or GTR :(

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:23 am 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

GTR discs are the same, only slightly thicker:

Solid/Vented : Vented
Diameter (mm) : 274
Number of Studs : 5
Height (mm) : 48
Max/Min Thickness (mm) : 24/22

They would fit into the standard calipers if you remove the anti squeal shims on the back of the pads :thumbleft: and you might have to grind away a teeny bit of the caliper carrier, if you're using V6 calipers :thumbleft:

GTX calipers are the same as BA 1.8 calipers, but I can't find much info on the GTR ones...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Lerch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:57 am 
UK Events Manager Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:16 am
Posts: 3061
Location: Coventry, West Mids
Reputation: 16

just sell your body on the streets for a few weeks madgwick and get a big brake kit ;) ill give you £5 to start ;) lol

_________________
"They wanna fingerprint me and gimme some years, they'll only get one finger while I'm shifting gears"


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
323F Rock
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:21 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F GTR

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:35 pm
Posts: 3782
Location: South Yardley, Birmingham, UK
Reputation: 20

GT-R brake calipers have 57.2 diameter pistons
Master cylinder on a GT-R is 25.4mm without ABS
:D

_________________
Image
"Drive to survive"
The 323F GTR 1.8 Turbo


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:03 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Ok, so, for the moment, I'll be leaving the front brakes alone, the GTX came with the same front setup as the 1.8 BA but I will be fitting discs for the back.

Couple of weeks back now I bought a rear subframe and hubs from Baz (BRV-6), I'll need lateral link bolts and lateral links (might make my own adjustable set) and calipers and cables, so I'll be doing something similar to the recon job RHRH did recently :)

Sadly though, all work is now on hold due to this....

Image

and this....

Image

Strictly research only for me for a month and a half :?

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
asifestoril
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 1489
Location: Leicester
Reputation: 5

How on earth did you do that, what were you doing with the cone :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:45 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Right then, time for a wee update.....

Now I'm mobile and walking again it's time for Meanie to get a new heart :D

I'm not fitting the GTX yet due to the amount of work, research and parts I will need to do the swap!

So, in the meantime and so she'll pass her MOT this year, I'll be fitting my GT BP 1.8 with the kind assistance of Lee and Nathan (and anyone else who cares to chip in ;) )

This weekend I'll be heading down to the Isle of Wight to collect all the bits I need from Matt of his scrapped car, really glad some of the parts of that car will live on in Meanie, namely gearbox, shafts, ECU, looms etc., being as Mark T previously owned the car as well as Matt its pretty fitting I think :D

Just got to get it all done before the end of April :O with my track record, I might be needing a miracle ;)

Watch this space though because I'll be documenting the process for posterity :D

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

Cool! Looking forward to the progress and your impression of the finished product...


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:30 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Cheers Chris :D

When you did yours, was it pretty much plug and play?

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

Yup, really was a nobrainer. But then, i went with the BA ECU.


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:56 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

So am I chap, just hoping the 1.8 centre section exhaust will bolt up to my stainless back box :)

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

Ah i see - then it's easy. Except for the back box, not a straigt fit since the pipe diameter is bigger with the BP and so is the flange. Better get a new flange or use VW style pipe connectors.
If you dont mix 94-96 wiring with 97-98, you'll be fine :)


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:54 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

The wiring will be sorted this weekend, pre ford non immobiliser looms and ecu, plus G series box and shafts :)

Did you use your existing fuse box loom or did you replace?

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
HMT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Germany
Reputation: 2

Not really sure any more. I only replaced the engine loom - i would have said that it contains the fuse box as well but might be wrong...


Top
 Profile  
 
andym323
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:16 pm 
Club Secretary Offline
User avatar

My Car: Meanie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:24 am
Posts: 11284
Location: In my own little world!
Reputation: 21

Technically the loom with the fuse box is the engine loom but, the loom that actually connects to the engine, dizzy, fuel rail, ECU etc is called the emissions loom :scratch:

_________________
Image

May all your F'ing dreams come true! (lottery won and a miracle wouldn't go amiss!!!)

I got hooooooles, they're multiplying :(

And nice shiny new V6 to play with


Top
 Profile  
 
marshymob
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:18 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: Julie - 1994 BA

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 pm
Posts: 2347
Location: Paignton, Devon
Reputation: 40

gutted to see you are fitting a turbo before me, but i will probably eventually follow in your footsteps 8)

hows the leg? and did you get a good deal off Graham?
and i think i may have to head to the 323f tech shed myself and beg for hughie to help me for some welding

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Karma functions powered by Karma MOD © 2007, 2009 m157y