It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

cyberpaddy66
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:53 pm 

I'm trying to fit a new Ministry of Sound CD/MP3 head unit which comes with a slide in cage fitting (pic 1), the problem I'm having is that the old Radio uses 2 strange side brackets (pic 2) to hold it into the console.

I've taken all the plastic stuff off that I need to get the new head unit in place but the cage don't fit (too small for gap) and I was wondering if anyone out there has done something similar and can help me by suggesting a way to fit it?

Once I've gotten the cage fitted I then need to work out what wires do what, the existing wiring block (pic 3) doesn't seem to correspond to anything I can find on the net or the EPC for that matter. The new wiring block (pic 4) has very clearly marked wires to connect up,I even have the wiring diagram from the new unit (pic 5) to guide me but it's the car side of things I'm confused about.

Does anyone have a proper wiring diagram for the standard stereo unit that matches the wiring I have in Pic 3?

whitedragon
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:11 pm 

Easiest way to put the cage in, is through the plastic plate that hides the hole below the stereo. Then to hold the back up, use a bolt into the back of the stereo, and then there's a hole at the back of the stereo placement (just use a rubber grommet).

As for connections, just get a convertor. In Halfords or a few quid. Does all the wiring for you.

Sorry I can't explain placement of the cage better :(

mazz
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:11 pm 

get ya bum on msn mate gary will talk u through it as we have chaed and wired head units in direct to the cars wireing without the converter block ;-)

Fleet of 8 & still going strong 8)
Nes, Ghost, White shite 1, White shite 2, Messiah, Kgb, Bug & Riot

www.reefgeeks.co.uk

Lankybob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:36 pm 

I'd advise the converter block, saves fuking up your stero wiring or the car wiring and makes it easier to replace the standard stero when you come to sell.

As for the side brakets, i'd advise attaching them to the new stereo and using them instead of the cage (as GeeTee (neil) did - failing that just remove them and the cage will slot straight in.

Gareth

robin
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:21 pm 

yes a mazda to iso wiring harness is much much easier to use then manual wiring; as others have said. I payed £10 in halfords for one but ebay have them even cheaper.

proberly find them cheaper then this if you look but heres a link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZDA-ISO-WIRING- ... dZViewItem

Neil F
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 pm 
Moderator Offline

My Car: Vauxhall feckin Astra!

Use the ISO connectors, and use the original side brackets, as Gareth said.
The stereo will fit perfectly with the side brackets. :wink:

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:19 pm 

Did as you suggested, got the converter from Halfrauds £14.95 and fitted it, I also mounted the side plates direct to the unit (took ages to find the correct screws Grrr) and it sits a little proud of the console (pics to follow) but the bloody thing refuses to eject a cd we tried in it and as it's now dark and we're so pissed off we think we're going to break it so I'm taking a short rest before I continue working on it tomorrow!

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:52 pm 

OK, I got an update for you all...

Having already broken a CD trying to get it out of the unit I removed the whole thing and took the side brackets off and guess what, the 4mm long screw (unit says max 6mm) that I used to fit the side plates was trapping the eject spring DOH!

So for the interest of other doing a similar unit change I'll continue with a small tutorial LOL

Remove the standard unit completly from the car, and take the side brackets off it, then using a small hammer flatten the little lugs down (pic 1) and fit them to your new unit (pic 2).

REMEMBER to use VERY short screws on your unit if you can see the eject spring through any of the holes!

Take the rubber gromet off the old unit and place it on the threaded bolt (pic 3) coming out the back of your new unit, then place the unit back into the car (pic 4) making sure that you have access to the wiring from both the new unit and the existing wiring loom.

Next bit requires you to go to Halfrauds and purchase a cable convertor unit for the princly sum of £14.95 (OUCH!) and as I had the unit in the car I took the old radio and the new (solder ended) wiring plugs to the guy behind the counter and explained what I needed, which he fully understood and found on the shelf for me :$

Simply plug the existing wiring into the convertor and then plug the convertor into the head unit wiring (NOTE! - the instructions state that you should remove the '+' lead from the battery before doing this but being a lazy bugger I didn't (shame on me) and then replace it when the unit is fully connected).

Then you should be able to test the unit out and if all's well re-assemble the console (pic 5), I had a slight bit of difficulty here as the head unit has a couple of lugs sticking out the sides that are a little bit bigger then the hole in the console but a small amount of force and jiggery pokery managed to bypass this issue :D. Once you have the console back together fit the head unit cover and insert the removable facia (pic 6) then listen to your favorite MP3's instead of those dodgy old tapes LOL

I hope this helps some of you out there as it took me bloody ages (2 days) to do and if I had to do it again it'd only take me an hour LOL

Neil F
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:28 pm 
Moderator Offline

Excellent how to mate. :D

I've made it a sticky. :wink:

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:42 am 

Wow thanks a lot :D I really hope someone gets some tips from this!

Delboy
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:19 pm 

Heya...where did you buy the bolts for the side of the unit ?

Just pulled apart the whole console..to discover I had the wrong length bolts.

Tried B+Q with no luck :(

paul323f
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 am 

I didn't even use the side brackets.I can't remember using them anyway. And yes I am talking about a BG(my mums) not mine!

Neil F
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:27 pm 
Moderator Offline

Delboy wrote:
Heya...where did you buy the bolts for the side of the unit ?

Just pulled apart the whole console..to discover I had the wrong length bolts.

Tried B+Q with no luck :(

Try Maplin mate. They will defo have them. :wink:

whitedragon
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:46 pm 

Or ask someone like me, Maz or Calpal who have many MANY bolts and screws for the BG :)

mercuryfrost
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:45 pm 

It's odd... I didn't use bolts or anything, the cage that comes with most stereo's can be installed just by bending the cut out parts onto the console when you have it fitted...

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:20 pm 

If you look at the pictures you can see that on my BG there was a whole 1/4 inch all round the cage and the bend-outs would not make the distance so I had to use the plates, as for the bolts I had them laying about but Maplins is a good idea only watch out for the length on the ejector mechanism side!

mercuryfrost
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:40 pm 

no, I meant onto the actual console panel you pull out... or is that what you meant too? only problem with that is, that the radio isn't as stable as inyour way

whitedragon
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:01 pm 

Securing in with bolts is MUCH sturdier than a cage.

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:38 am 

My Head unit sits slightly proud (silver facia covers most of the gaps!) of the console and it snaps into place VERY nicely :D

che
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 pm 

right.!....the previous owner of my woman had about a foot of speaker wire coming from the speakers, then he clamped in amp wire and ran this to the stereo. i bought the car with no stereo so now i have amp wire that been cut-ended, and he also cut four of the wires from the left wire housing you see in this pic and put bullet connecters on them, how the f*** do i get them wires back into the housing.?? :scratch:

ill have a go at it, but will most likely get angry and pull it all out.! :chain:

che
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:23 pm 

yes, i robbed the pic from cyberpaddy.! :D

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:30 am 

Get yourself a spare connector end from a breakers and replace the whole thing, you can bullet connector all the other wires at the same time ;) alternatively just hard wire your stereo in (not advisable if you plan on changing the stereo any time soon :lol:)

che
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:52 am 

hmm.. will tinker at the weekend.

i think ill leave the hard wiring as a last resort.!

lewp91
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:16 am 

i would say find a scrappy one because it will probs have the iso adapeter in it too ;)
like the one local to me :P

che
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:10 pm 

cyberpaddy66 wrote:
Get yourself a spare connector end from a breakers and replace the whole thing, you can bullet connector all the other wires at the same time ;) alternatively just hard wire your stereo in (not advisable if you plan on changing the stereo any time soon :lol:)

just re-read this and realised what you meant.! and there was me about to hard wire it all.! :drunken:

ill try and sneak out of work and pop the the scrapyard tommoro to see if i can find one.!

i need music.!!!!!!! :rr:

che
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:55 pm 

plugged in the iso connector, but radio wont work, it ejects cd's but no display on the unit.! :scratch:

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:30 am 

Check all the connectors have continuity, a single dud connector can stop everything.

Oursoul
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:12 pm 

hmmm i cut my arm to shreds trying to reach round the central console to connect the rubber nodule on the back of mine - didn't think of taking out the bit below the stereo...

mine is also lacking the brackets, but from what i read here that isn't necessarily an issue (or is it?)

Oursoul
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:46 pm 

Ok then, having had time to reflect on my own, i've decided to maybe hacksaw the metal brackets from my old sunny and use them to sturdify the stereo (currently it's wobbling all over the place). now my problem is every time i turn on the ignition all my stations are lost and settings reset - there was already an iso connector in the car which slotted beautifully into my stereo, and the memory wire is indeed connected but this still happens...

The general consensus of internet wisdom is that the memory wire should go to the red wire, but on mine it looks like the illumination wire (orange) goes to the red, and the yellow (memory) goes to a blue one? Is it possible to switch them round without taking the ends off i.e. just pull out the wires, blades n' all, and push them back in in a different order?

cyberpaddy66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:05 pm 

Those connectors are usually just a little crimp with a tag that sticks out a bit, using a jewlers screwdriver usualssy works when I'm popping them out for any kind of repairs.