It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 10:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
SerenaJ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:43 pm 
Moderator Offline
User avatar

My Car: BG GLXi, BA '97 GXi, '98 ZXi

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 am
Posts: 1644
Location: Reading
Reputation: 14

I'm taking out the old interior - can someone tell me how to get the rear side bolsters out?

I'm praying I don't have to remove half the boot trim to get to some awkward bolt or other ...

Cheers!

S

_________________
"Never tell me the odds!"

"I'm gonna need a bigger drive"

Image

'Butch' maint thread (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE). Daily. PM me for V6 Whatsapp Group
'Sundance' maint thread (BA 1.5 GXi). Having surgery
'The Bug' (BG 1.6GLXi). Lodger


Top
 Profile  
 
Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:38 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Sheerness (Kent)
Reputation: 11

You need to jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and the arch trim. Then, drop out the petrol tank and you'll access to the under side of the car proper. From there, have a good look around and then put everything back :badgrin:


As for the bolsters, they should just need a tug to come out, much like the rear seat squab. if I remember correctly they need to go upwards to come out? as one of the clips is angled down. Anyway, I don't recall there being any bolts or anything. Look at the back of your leather ones and see what the attachments are and go from there

Happy to make things appear more confusing

Jon :)


Last edited by Dark_Jon on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
SerenaJ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:45 pm 
Moderator Offline
User avatar

My Car: BG GLXi, BA '97 GXi, '98 ZXi

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 am
Posts: 1644
Location: Reading
Reputation: 14

Dark_Jon wrote:
You need to jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and the arch trim. Then, drop out the petrol tank and you'll access to the under side of the car proper. From there, have a good look around and then put everything back :badgrin:


:salute:
*runs outside and starts jacking up the car*

Quote:
As for the bolsters, they should just need a tug to come out, much like the rear seat squab. if I remember correctly they need to go upwards to come out? as one of the clips is angled down. Anyway, they just pull out.

Happy to make things appear more confusing


Just for a moment there ... ! OK cheers, I'll have a go tomorrow ;)

S

_________________
"Never tell me the odds!"

"I'm gonna need a bigger drive"

Image

'Butch' maint thread (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE). Daily. PM me for V6 Whatsapp Group
'Sundance' maint thread (BA 1.5 GXi). Having surgery
'The Bug' (BG 1.6GLXi). Lodger


Top
 Profile  
 
BRV-6
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 am
Posts: 807
Location: Staffordshire
Reputation: 14

[quote="Dark_Jon"]You need to jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and the arch trim. Then, drop out the petrol tank and you'll access to the under side of the car proper. From there, have a good look around and then put everything back :badgrin:

:lol: Had a real crap day, then spotted this :lol: I like :p

I remember having to take out the boot plastic trim serena, Now that might just be me, being overly cautious ( anal ) :p

the two side bolsters have a nut holding them in place, you'll need to remove the boot plastic to gain access to this nut.. if memory serves... :?

Edit..

there should be a hoop.. if you like, at the bottom of your bolster, this hoop goes over a thread, then a (10mm i think ) nut holds it in place.
The angled one at the top is where I'm having a brain fart :-p

hope that helps.... :santa:


Top
 Profile  
 
Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:54 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Sheerness (Kent)
Reputation: 11

BRV-6 wrote:
there should be a hoop.. if you like, at the bottom of your bolster, this hoop goes over a thread, then a (10mm i think ) nut holds it in place.


Think you're right now you mention that, and most things seem to be 10 or 14mm on the F.

Def didn't remove any trim panels on mine to remove them though.

Think its: undo nut, pull bottom hoop off of thread, and then push upwards towards the roof/rear hatch to slide top bent hoop out. I remember the leather ones being a bit stiffer to go in as there isn't as much give in the top of the bolster like with the cloth ones.

At worst just go in from the outside, angle grinder will have the flank of the car off in no time and the bolster should just fall out :)


Top
 Profile  
 
paul323f
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:16 am
Posts: 2140
Location: Maidstone Kent
Reputation: 19

Correct :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:59 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Yep - there's a rounded hook at the top of the bolster, which hooks over the rear boot trim - you should be able to pull upwards quite hard on the bolster to unhook that, then behind it at the bottom is a 10mm bolt. You'll need to remove the boot trim to get to that though!

The boot trim is dead simple to remove though :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Marc S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:16 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline
User avatar

My Car: 1st Gen RX7

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 am
Posts: 13779
Location: "Rust?...I ain't got time to rust"
Reputation: 95

Is the hoop not at the bottom of the seat bit, accessed by lifting it at bit. Hang on, that could be the BG...old age, too many cars... :lol:

_________________
Image

Paragon Auto Finishing
Professional vehicle detailing & valeting, specialising in paint correction and enhancement
Servicing, repairs, and undersealing also available
Discounts available for Gold Members :)


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:35 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Sheerness (Kent)
Reputation: 11

I'm sure the nut was at the bottom and the hook one at the top. And I definately didn't remove any boot trim to do mine :?


Top
 Profile  
 
SerenaJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:25 pm 
Moderator Offline
User avatar

My Car: BG GLXi, BA '97 GXi, '98 ZXi

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 am
Posts: 1644
Location: Reading
Reputation: 14

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was really simple, as it turned out: the long hoop of metal at the end fits over a captive bolt on the side of the car and is secured by a nut and washer. It's easily accessible as it's not underneath the bolster, but below it:

Image

Image

I must have missed it last night as it was getting dark. It's really obvious in daylight. I didn't have to remove any trim, it was in view once the back seat was out. Meanwhile the hook in the middle of the bolster keeps it in place by hooking over this plastic lip:

Image

I'll put up all today's photos later. I have the back seats & bolsters fitted but I'm ready to throw a large tantrum over the bolts holding in the front seats. I just can't get them loose. Sundance currently has a two-tone interior, cloth in the front, leather in the back :lol:

S

EDIT: was a 12mm spanner, as were all the bolts securing the folding back seats. The front seat securing bolts are 14.

_________________
"Never tell me the odds!"

"I'm gonna need a bigger drive"

Image

'Butch' maint thread (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE). Daily. PM me for V6 Whatsapp Group
'Sundance' maint thread (BA 1.5 GXi). Having surgery
'The Bug' (BG 1.6GLXi). Lodger


Last edited by SerenaJ on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:31 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Quote:
I'll put up all today's photos later. I have the back fitted but I'm ready to throw a large tantrum over the bolts holding in the front seats. I just can't get them loose.


They're known for being difficult to remove - more force needed is all it is! Get a decent socket/bar with a long extension on it and pull, making sure your socket is straight. :thumbleft:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
SerenaJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:41 pm 
Moderator Offline
User avatar

My Car: BG GLXi, BA '97 GXi, '98 ZXi

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 am
Posts: 1644
Location: Reading
Reputation: 14

HughieW wrote:
They're known for being difficult to remove - more force needed is all it is! Get a decent socket/bar with a long extension on it and pull, making sure your socket is straight. :thumbleft:


Yep, I couldn't find a long enough socket bar, and the socket kept slipping off because of the angle. I'll have to find a proper breaker bar/extension I think.

Dad has offered me a "nut cracker". Not sure if I'd be able to replace those bolts though?

S

_________________
"Never tell me the odds!"

"I'm gonna need a bigger drive"

Image

'Butch' maint thread (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE). Daily. PM me for V6 Whatsapp Group
'Sundance' maint thread (BA 1.5 GXi). Having surgery
'The Bug' (BG 1.6GLXi). Lodger


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:48 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

The bolts are specific so I wouldn't try that :lol: just use a bigger socket extension :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Dark_Jon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:55 pm 
Gold Member Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F ZXi

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Sheerness (Kent)
Reputation: 11

Douse it with WD40 (careful not to get it all on the carpet!) and leave over night to let it penetrate. Mine are/were stiff as there was corrosion on the thread part. Then when reassembling put a dab of copper grease on the thread, should help in case you need to remove them again in future (like fitting a black/dark grey carpet :lol: )


Top
 Profile  
 
jinglebells
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:19 pm
Posts: 799
Reputation: 3

... and I recommend a hexagon socket, not a "double-hex" one.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Karma functions powered by Karma MOD © 2007, 2009 m157y