It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

carazide
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 pm 

Hello Club 323f!

I just had my car at the mechanic, and when i went to retrieve it, he told me as i was leaving that my servo pump was likely about to fail, and that "moisture was building up on the outside of it".

Now, i was in a bit of a hurry, and half way out of the place when he told me, so i didn't quite get the full story.
Do you guys gave any idea what he could have meant? I haven't experienced any problems with the servo steering as of yet, and i'm not quite sure what to look for to diagnose it myself either.

- Is there something i can do to refurbish the old one to keep it from failing, or do i have to get a new one?
- If i do have to get a new one, do i need to get a V6 specific one, or are they the same for all models?
- If i get a new one and decide to replace it myself, what's the best way to do it, and is there something i should do or don't do?

Thanks in advance.

- Jacob

Last edited by carazide on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

brucey76
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 pm 

servo pump? I'm sorry if this is a translation thing but servo on steering isnt actually a thing that I've ever heard of, power steering pump yes, brake servo yes. steering servo???? power steering pump is same as mx3 mx6 ford probe, millenia, eunos 800, etc all mazda v6 k series( please correct if wrong) brake servo I believe is BA specific (again someone correct if I'm wrong) I dont want to disrespect your mechanic but unless this is a translation issue or mishearing issue then he may be trying his luck

carazide
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:44 am 

Power Steering, ofcourse :) We say "Servo Steering" in Sweden, but its absolutely certain that it's power Steering both my mechanic and i mean! :)

So i can use any --powersteering pump-- ( :D ) from any BA then? I mean, 1.5's 1.8's 2.0's, both pre and post Ford mmodels?

Sorry for the mixup! :)

brucey76
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:37 pm 

I thought it was a translation thing, the power steering pump would be v6 k series engine. ie mx6 mx3 probe gt etc

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:51 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

I cannot believe that this thread has come up this week: I've spent most of the week trying to restore the deleted power steering to my V6, so I now have intimate knowledge of V6 power steering :lol:

However: are you sure your mechanic doesn't mean the water pump? Then what he says about moisture makes sense. If he does mean the steering pump, then by moisture he probably means power steering fluid, and this might mean that the pump or the hose connections are leaking. PAS fluid gets everywhere. I would check the hoses / hose connections for leaks, though, before you buy a new pump.

Brucey is right, the power steering pumps are different on the 1.5/8 and V6:

1.5/8:

(I recently bought this pump from eBay as a spare for my 1.5)

V6:

V6 again, but without the pulley (and with a bracket attached):

As you can see, the pumps and the pulleys are completely different, so be careful if you're buying a reconditioned one. Ask for a photo, to be certain. If you're not offered a pulley, don't worry: the pulley on the V6 pump is designed to come off, so if you save the pulley from your broken pump, you could just swap it to the new one.

Both my cars are post-Ford. I don't know if there's a pre/post difference with the pumps, but the Mazda EPC will probably show you.

Removing/replacing the pump on the 1.5 is easy, as it's on the front of the engine. On the V6 it's much more difficult, as it's on the back, behind the belts and pulleys, and you only have a very small space in which to disconnect/reconnect the pipes. Unless you lift out the engine, you need to remove the pump through the driver's wheel arch. Probably you will also need jack up the car, to get underneath, so you can reach the securing bracket and some of the pipe connections (unless you are lucky enough to have a workshop lift!) There is a particular sequence for removing the pump (as I discovered this week, after a LOT of hassle). But if you are patient, you can do it without disconnecting any of the steering parts.

It will take you at least a day, possibly two, because it is not straightforward and the work space is cramped. Remember, first you will need to drain the system of most of the fluid, then you must refill and bleed the system afterwards, and this will also take time.

When I've completed the job on my V6, I'll post the details on my maintenance thread. Or PM me if you need advice meanwhile, and I'll see if I can help :thumbleft:

S

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.