It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Neil Pearce
 Post subject: Photo issues.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:46 am 

Hi all. I am trying to put my Mazda 323f up for sale on your site. The site will not accept my photos as it says they are too large a file. I use a Sony Xperia Z1 tablet and can not get the file size down low enough. Any solutions?

N.P.

Lerch
 Post subject: Re: Photo issues.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline

Hi Neil,

Most of us use hosting sites such as photobucket to upload photo's on the forum threads. They automatically re-size your pictures and make it easier for you to upload them via links.

Alternatively, you can download photo editing apps via the android app store to re-size photos. Not sure what it's called but I have one on my Samsung tablet that works :thumbleft:

Profile Facebook  

Toe
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 pm 
Gold Member Offline

If you get stuck mail me some and I'll bung them on my Photobucket or Flickr account, not using them for much else! :D

Neil Pearce
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:47 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far. I have downloaded Photobucket and will give it a go tomorrow. If no success then I will have to take up your kind offer, Steve z & Robbie.

N.P.

marshymob
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Julie - 1994 BA

Photobucket and Flickr are being an a**e, any other ones that are forum friendly?

Profile Facebook  

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 pm 
Moderator Offline

My Car: BG GLXi, BA '97 GXi, '98 ZXi

marshymob wrote:
Photobucket and Flickr are being an a**e, any other ones that are forum friendly?

Imgur has become the service of choice since Photobucket cut off everyone's photos a few weeks ago - I've had no issues with it so far, and upload is far quicker than Photobucket :thumbright:

S

"I'm gonna need a bigger drive"

'Butch' maint thread (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE). Daily. PM me for V6 Whatsapp Group
'Sundance' maint thread (BA 1.5 GXi). Having surgery
'The Bug' (BG 1.6GLXi). Lodger

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 am 

SerenaJ wrote:
marshymob wrote:

Imgur has become the service of choice since Photobucket cut off everyone's photos a few weeks ago - I've had no issues with it so far, and upload is far quicker than Photobucket :thumbright:

S

To be honest I've not looked at imgur (yet) because I fear they will simply follow the same path and it'll be a wasted effort.

My worry is Imgur will simply follow the same tactic as the others- it seems Photobucket has probably been very successful at divesting itself of non-profitable users. Youtube and others funded through ad placement but that doesn't seem available with simple image hosting. If we all move to imgur they'll have to do the same, the overhead must be considerable. Or is their business model different?

My photos are backed up on my PC, conveniently organised, named and saved in various resolutions ' cos I'm one of those a**l-retentive buggers! :badgrin: However I have a considerable number of threads here and elsewhere and I don't think it's worthwhile updating them all...even if I can remember which photo goes exactly where. :roll:

Patrick

maZZda
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 am 

When/if imgur follows the path of photobucket we will simply find another free upload site.. ;)
I too hold my cards close(keep all my pics on my pc) and share only 1/10 of them..
S.it, i have alot of pictures.. sometimes when i opened the directory i wait more than a half a minute.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 am 
Moderator Offline

pitrack_1 wrote:
My worry is Imgur will simply follow the same tactic as the others

They might, but in the meantime we still need a service from which to upload images to the forum for display. As Mazzda says, if Imgur were to follow suit then we find another option - unless we were individually happy enough with Imgur's service to pay them for it. It's a moving situation.

I understand that there are operating costs, and I'll happily pay if the service is good and the cost reasonable for the service I'm getting. However in Photobucket's case the user interface was a nightmare and was partially inoperative, and the cost they demanded without any warning whatsoever was ludicrous. They may have gained a few paying users, but they've done it via blackmail - because that's precisely what cutting off photos and then demanding money for their return amounts to (particularly as the site's download function doesn't work, so you can't even move the photos elsewhere!!). Not the actions of a trustworthy business with its reputation and a long term future in mind (maybe they're planning to fold in 18 months anyway, I don't know). And how many more long term users - e.g. me - would have happily accepted their new payment model if they'd acted reasonably and not like highwaymen? :doubt:

S

Lerch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline

I will stick with Imgur for a while at least - seems to work fine and the mobile app works so much better than photobuckets did!

Profile Facebook  

jinglebells
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 pm 

Neil Pearce wrote:
Hi all. I am trying to put my Mazda 323f up for sale on your site. The site will not accept my photos as it says they are too large a file. I use a Sony Xperia Z1 tablet and can not get the file size down low enough. Any solutions?

N.P.

One trick we use a lot is to load the photo into something like PowerPoint (or Open Office) and then save the slide as a .jpg (or Export to jpg in Open Office). This keeps the quality reasonable but brings the size down to one you can load up. It's a bit labour intensive, but you don't need a special app for this trick.

323F Rock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:18 am 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F GTR

hey all, this is the only topic i could find on the photobucket issues!!
I found a way of downloading whole albums or whole photobucket if you wished:

Quote:
None1230 commented on 15 Nov 2017 •
Thanks for your guide. However for windows users, this might not be so easy.
So here's what i did...
I downloaded the Photobucket mobile (android) app, and it had the option to save Album to device.
And it really worked well... finished downloading all the files & put it to an Album called Photobucket_Album1.
Those who do not have an Android or want to do it on your PC can,
1, Get the "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" Chrome extension,
2, Export all your picture HTML links and save it to a text file.... photos.htm
3, Open the file in Chrome and press CTRL+S (or Save page) ...
4, select the option Webpage COMPLETE
Hope it helps others trying to download their memories from these greedy website owners.

It works really well :D

Profile Facebook  

jinglebells
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:25 pm 

I've just had an email from Photobucket claiming that my photos are "restored" and that they've "listened to us" and have "free" plans available!

I wonder - is it a scam? has anyone else had similar?

Howie
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 am 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: Noble Green ZXi

All my Photobucket pictures are back on my car thread :D :D :D

pitrack_1
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:41 am 

Funnily enough, I'd noticed for a while now that my photos hadn't disappeared off my pages so I'd just yesterday printed out my main BA 1.8 thread so I had a copy of the way things were to swapover to another site as necessary.

However I think mine may not have hit the limit to block them because I only upload 'smaller' images, i.e. I reduce the image sizes (pixels) to match screen definitions. So I don't think any image exceeds 1Mb and most are considerably less. Perhaps along with lower viewing rates maybe this is why mine continued to be visible under their restrictions.

Anyways, if they've backtracked so that people can use the service again, even in a reduced fashion, all the better for us!

Patrick

jinglebells
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:53 pm 

Thank you for the above replies; I've just signed in to my Photobucket and the photos are there (and they're back on my threads in this Forum) but their web site only has 2 plans that I can see, and they're not the free ones!

Am I missing something?!

jinglebells
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 am 

Photobucket let me back in for a while on a free plan. But now they've decided I've been using it too much and have very kindly blurred all my images.
I wonder why they want the whole world to know they are making life difficult.
So sorry guys, but most of my photos on my threads are blurred until I pay Photobucket, and that won't happen soon!
:x

SerenaJ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:35 pm 
Moderator Offline

Photobucket are absolute w*****s, after how they've treated their users over the last 18months I wouldn't touch them again with a ten foot pole. They've trashed their reputation and frankly if their business goes under as a result, it will be no great loss.

I'd bite the bullet, get an Imgur account and start again, maybe reupload the most important photos in your thread and insert new Imgur links in place of the PB ones :thumbright:

S

Toe
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:21 pm 
Gold Member Offline

Don't forget the icon and huge lettering plastered all over the image as well!!

jinglebells
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:46 pm 

jinglebells wrote:
Photobucket let me back in for a while on a free plan. But now they've decided I've been using it too much and have very kindly blurred all my images.
I wonder why they want the whole world to know they are making life difficult.
So sorry guys, but most of my photos on my threads are blurred until I pay Photobucket, and that won't happen soon!
:x

Well, those nice guys at Photobucket … not content with blurring my images, after already having curtailed my "membership" and suggested I pay them money, then relenting and kindly allowing me to have a limited membership, they've now cancelled my "hosting" facility (yes, the blurred ones) and suggested I pay 8 US dollars a month to get the hosting back (not sure if they would still be blurred!). Meanwhile my photos are "safe" - yes, safely locked up until I pay!
:evil: