It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules - Please read!


GUIDES ONLY please.

If you have any help/guide requests please use the appropriate section. Any new posts that are not guides may be removed completely.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
HughieW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Right, it's been discussed a little bit recently, and I was bored yesterday so I did it :lol:

Basically, coolant is circulated around the throttle body so that in colder weather, if it freezes shut, the coolant will thaw it out as the engine gets warm. In most of the UK though, it doesn't really get cold enough for this to be an issue, so this feature can be "disabled" by bypassing the throttle body, which should keep the throttle body cooler, so it doesn't heat up the intake air so much, which theoretically gives you more power. Can't say I've noticed a difference after doing it to my 1.8, other than the weight saving of a 4" long hose :lol:

Instructions:
1. Locate the throttle body coolant pipes. They're zinc pipes sticking out the throttle body, with black hoses clipped on. Follow the hoses - they should lead to the coolant system somewhere, I forget where.

2. Undo the clips, wiggle the hoses and remove them from the throttle body. Coolant will spill out, but not much if the engine has sat for a little while.

3. Remove the shorter hose completely (unclip, wiggle and pull) from the other end too.

4. Re-route the larger hose so that it goes where the smaller hose went.

So, instead of having a hose, then the throttle body, then a hose, you've just got a single hose :)

Pics:
Circled in orange are the pipes on my 1.8 post ford throttle body - yours may be in a different place, but they will look basically the same
Image

Here's the other end of those pipes - you basically need to join these bits together with one of the hoses
Image

This is how mine are now joined - hose is highlighted in red
Image

I took those photos before clipping them properly into place, just FYI :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
DMS
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:35 pm 
Good work matey 8)


Top
   
 
cosmos1989
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Nottingham
Reputation: 17

So that last picture is just one of those hoses circulating back on itself?

And what are you doing the the gaps left with the TB? Just leaving as is?

_________________
"Meh, it was inside a condom and he used lots of lube, so it's fine" - Matty June 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:46 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Correct :thumbleft: on both counts :lol:

You've got 2 hoses running to the throttle body, like II - I just took one off, then connected the TB end of the other to where the first one was, in an n shape :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
cosmos1989
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Nottingham
Reputation: 17

Nice one thanks, looking forwards to giving this a go, really hope it works, nothing better than free performance increases ;)

_________________
"Meh, it was inside a condom and he used lots of lube, so it's fine" - Matty June 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
eogbaker
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:59 pm
Posts: 6885
Reputation: 38

nice one hughie. Also just so people know this can also be done to the v6 throttle body

_________________
Image

Lantis Type R called Bahgeera


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:18 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Yep - can be done on all the throttle bodies in the world if they have coolant circulation :lol: same process for any car really :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
DMS
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:24 pm 
+30bhp woooo hoooo :jerk:


Top
   
 
fastmike
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:10 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Darlington
Reputation: 7

Pretty good mod! I did this on the GT engine, at first I was going to do it the way you've done but I blocked off each pipe individually incase it effected the heater.

One thing I did note was the engine ran a hell of a lot cooler as I did this back in February.


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:04 am 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

You could do it that way too - makes no difference really :) The coolant was flowing between the pipes anyway, I've just taken the throttle body out of the loop :) Blocking those two little hard pipes instead of connecting them would work just as well :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
drakh
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 am
Posts: 304
Reputation: 2

Just a caution, could possibly lead to erratic idle- it did to my v6 because there were now air bubbles in my tb where coolant used to be. I have heard this works with good sucess to other cars but can b a double edged sword for the v6


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:47 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

What the... the coolant doesn't mix with the air in the throttle body :scratch: bypassing the coolant can not cause an erratic idle by itself, unless you're in a cold climate, I guess the idle control valve could freeze :scratch:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
drakh
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 am
Posts: 304
Reputation: 2

Sorry if i explained it bad, not saying the coolant mixes with air, but rather you have air bubbles where coolant used to/should be, which has a negative effect on the iac ( iac is idle air control valve right?) I don't know how its makes things funny, but it did for me


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:41 am 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

The coolant and airflow are totally seperate - removing the coolant has no effect on the airflow, other than potentially cooling it down :scratch: you may introduce a couple of air bubbles into the coolant system, but these will flow into the expansion tank next time you start the engine, and would have no effect on your idle speed :scratch:

IAC is idle air control valve yes :thumbleft:

EDIT: I believe our IACs are electronically controlled by the ECU (hence the 2 wire connector on it) rather than by the coolant, which would explain why my idle hasn't changed since doing the mod :) if anyone does it, and notices their idle is affected, try reconnecting it to see if it fixes the problem :) if it does, I'm mistaken and I'll amend the guide accordingly! Mine have been bypassed for about 350 miles now, not noticed any adverse effects :dontknow:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
cosmos1989
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Nottingham
Reputation: 17

To be fair after doing more driving mines settling, the idles still high for the first 4-5 miles (warming up time) but besides that it's now dropping back down to it's usual idle range so I'm not complaining. I do notice it's a little better in the throttle response now as well :D

_________________
"Meh, it was inside a condom and he used lots of lube, so it's fine" - Matty June 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
Mobiius
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:15 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: The mighty Cramlington!
Reputation: 9

cosmos1989 wrote:
the idles still high for the first 4-5 miles (warming up time) but besides that it's now dropping back down to it's usual idle range

Isn't that perfectly normal? Every car I've ever seen does this due to the auto choke engaging until the engine warms up, then the idle drops? :dontknow:

_________________
I'm better than you, because I drive a Lexus AND a BG-GT! Image
Image
Like Cars or Video Games? Go Here!


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:16 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Correct Phil - starting from cold, the IAC will be open allowing more air into the engine to help it warm up quicker :thumbleft:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Lethagized
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:16 am
Posts: 614
Location: Dudley, West Mids
Reputation: 21

I was under the impression that these coolant hoses aided in less choke time, hence less fuel being used from cold. Removing them surely means the throttle takes more time to warm, meaning the car is on choke for longer and using more fuel than it should be.


Top
 Profile  
 
cosmos1989
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Nottingham
Reputation: 17

HughieW wrote:
Correct Phil - starting from cold, the IAC will be open allowing more air into the engine to help it warm up quicker :thumbleft:


Nope, never with the ones I've owned, I know this because I'm very particular about a cars idle, the warmer the weather the less the auto choke kicks in for me, and once I'm driving normally the idle always goes down to roughly 800-850 now it tends to hand at 1100 for the first 4,5,6 miles of driving dependingon weather, I've not driven an awful lot since not being at work so can't be certain, it's certainly nothing I'm concerned about! Just something I've noticed.

@Leth - Well that's what I thought might be happening now but *shrug*

_________________
"Meh, it was inside a condom and he used lots of lube, so it's fine" - Matty June 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Lethagized wrote:
I was under the impression that these coolant hoses aided in less choke time, hence less fuel being used from cold. Removing them surely means the throttle takes more time to warm, meaning the car is on choke for longer and using more fuel than it should be.

Not the case - you have an O2 sensor in your exhaust, so if the engine is running unnecessarily rich, the ECU will pick up on that and alter the fuel accordingly. My air/fuel ratio gauge tells me so ;)

Quote:
Nope, never with the ones I've owned
so your car doesn't idle higher than usual when it's cold? :roll:

Mine has always idled at about 1000-1500 when first started from cold, until the temperature needle has moved slightly, then it sits around the 850 mark. This has not changed AT ALL since bypassing the throttle body coolant loop :)

This is one of those simple mods though, that if it has adverse effects, you can just put the hoses back to normal - no harm done :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
mainfunction
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Devon
Reputation: 0

Nice guide Hughie :thumbleft: I did a search for this mod and it seems quite well known for different engine makes out there... so for the sake of complete noobs like me I've linked one page I thought was particularly nice and clear even though it's for a totally different engine (type of engine, even!)

http://www.rotaryinsider.com/diy-tac38/throttle-body-coolant-bypass-gap29.htm

Bottom line:

Quote:
The result of this [mod] is that the intake air isn't going to be heated before entering the engine. You may find increase throttle response, and maybe slight horse power gains.


Top
 Profile  
 
cosmos1989
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Nottingham
Reputation: 17

HughieW wrote:
Lethagized wrote:
I was under the impression that these coolant hoses aided in less choke time, hence less fuel being used from cold. Removing them surely means the throttle takes more time to warm, meaning the car is on choke for longer and using more fuel than it should be.

Not the case - you have an O2 sensor in your exhaust, so if the engine is running unnecessarily rich, the ECU will pick up on that and alter the fuel accordingly. My air/fuel ratio gauge tells me so ;)

Quote:
Nope, never with the ones I've owned
so your car doesn't idle higher than usual when it's cold? :roll:

Mine has always idled at about 1000-1500 when first started from cold, until the temperature needle has moved slightly, then it sits around the 850 mark. This has not changed AT ALL since bypassing the throttle body coolant loop :)

This is one of those simple mods though, that if it has adverse effects, you can just put the hoses back to normal - no harm done :)


I think I'll be doing that Hugh ;) see what the difference is then as well! (When I can find a new tube that isn't split of course)

What I was saying though, was my car idles higher the colder it is, what I'm saying is once I get moving, the car returns to a normal idle very quickly compared to how it does now, for instance this morning my cars idle didn't return to normal until I pulled in at work, which it's never done before it started 2000, 1800, 1500, 1100, 800-850 as my journey went on, now it was rather a cold morning - Must say though the car was on something this morning it was very responsive :D

_________________
"Meh, it was inside a condom and he used lots of lube, so it's fine" - Matty June 2011


Last edited by cosmos1989 on Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:50 am 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

I reckon it's due to the colder morning ;) but let us know your results if you put it back :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
cosmos1989
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Nottingham
Reputation: 17

we'll see I guess :) Have to say frustrations aside really enjoying all this fiddling with things! Best way of learning all this.

_________________
"Meh, it was inside a condom and he used lots of lube, so it's fine" - Matty June 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
DMS
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:15 am 
cosmos1989 wrote:
I really enjoying all this fiddling with things! Best way of learning about my penis


:shock: :shock: :shock:


Top
   
 
cosmos1989
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: Nottingham
Reputation: 17

DMS wrote:
cosmos1989 wrote:
I really enjoying all this fiddling with things! Best way of learning about my penis


:shock: :shock: :shock:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
"Meh, it was inside a condom and he used lots of lube, so it's fine" - Matty June 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
Marc S
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:01 pm 
UK Events Manager Offline
User avatar

My Car: 1st Gen RX7

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 am
Posts: 13779
Location: "Rust?...I ain't got time to rust"
Reputation: 95

Does the throttle body not get heated buy the heat in the engine bay anyway???

Must get pretty hot back there, and if you've got a good rush of cool air coming in, a small amount of water at 84 degrees C being near it for a fraction of a second on it's journey into the engine probably doesn't make that much difference to the performance...bearing in mind the whole area is heated to nearly that anyway... :dontknow:

_________________
Image

Paragon Auto Finishing
Professional vehicle detailing & valeting, specialising in paint correction and enhancement
Servicing, repairs, and undersealing also available
Discounts available for Gold Members :)


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:28 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Yes Marc you're right :)

Can't say I've noticed much difference in performance myself, however when driving today, before it was up to temperature, the car did stutter/hesitate a little - could possibly be related, so I'll try again when I leave work tonight. If it happens again, I'll re-run the hoses and see if that cures it :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Roc
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:04 am
Posts: 1841
Location: Exeter, Devon
Reputation: 46

What I know for sure, on KL engines at least, is that the coolant warms the IAC and without it, it doesn't work properly, only an issue at cold temps really.

Whether it's the same for KF engines, I do not know.

_________________
Image
Mark - www.fordprobestore.co.uk or www.mazda323f.co.uk - FPS - 323F Specialist.


Top
 Profile  
 
HughieW
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:05 pm 
Website Admin Offline
User avatar

My Car: Mazda 323F

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 8421
Location: Corby
Reputation: 77

Possibly the same on the BP engine if that's what I experienced today - I'll see if it happens later, and if it does, I'll plumb the coolant back into the throttle body and see if that cures it :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Facebook  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Karma functions powered by Karma MOD © 2007, 2009 m157y