It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Ciocoflenderu
 Post subject: Very dim dash lights
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:25 pm 

Hi! It is my first time around here. I have a mazda 323 F BA and i have a very annoying problem. The dash lights are too dim. I cannot see any light during the day, and at night i can barely see the speedometer.

The switch that controls the intensity of the dashboard light works, but it only works in the last 20% of the way.

Do i need to get anither switch? Or is there some kind of setup i can do to make it work properly?

P. S. Sorry, my english is bad... I am not a native.

SerenaJ
 Post subject: Re: Very dim dash lights
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 pm 
Gold Member Offline

My Car: BA '97 GXi, BA '98 ZXi

Hi, & welcome! :)

Your English is excellent, please don't worry :thumbleft:

My BA has some loose wires/plugs/bulbs in the instrument panel: sometimes half the panel goes dark, sometimes it just goes dim. A few days ago it was dim, so I tapped the plastic "window", very hard (the clear part behind the steering wheel), and it became bright again. This is a common issue.

If that doesn't work for you, the brightness switch ('panel light control switch', on the wiring diagrams) could be faulty. What year is your BA? There are different wiring diagrams if the car is a "pre-Ford" (i.e. 1995, or before)

Serena

"She'll hold together. (Please baby, hold together)"

'Sundance' maintenance thread here (BA 1.5 GXi) - Proudly un-lowered!
'Butch' maintenance thread here (BA 2.0 V6 ZXi SE) - Now with power steering. Oooooh.

maZZda
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 pm 

SerenaJ wrote:
My BA has some loose wires/plugs/bulbs in the instrument panel: sometimes half the panel goes dark, sometimes it just goes dim. A few days ago it was dim, so I tapped the plastic "window", very hard (the clear part behind the steering wheel), and it became bright again.

SerenaJ, you are a verry bad girl!!! Don't ever hit your car again!!!

Both of you, buy a half a meter LED strip green one or white(altought the stock dials had green layer in them). Then it needs little soldering skills and you are done!The LED strip has it's own resistances built in it so it won't burn from the 12v that will get.I glued my pieces from LED strip(in my dash) directly to the board at the places of the stock bulbs with it's own self adhesive end and 3 years after that they haven't moved a bit(i just opened my clock for some reaserch lately)The stips are usualy going by groups of three LEDs, so cutting is only at the indicated places.So no more hitting, ok?
After that you will keep the dim switch at maybe 50% because you will say it's too bright! :lol:

HughieW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am 
Website Admin Offline

My Car: Mazda 323F

If the switch works, but only partially, I would say you have a faulty switch :thumbleft: They're quite easy to replace, and shouldn't be that expensive, so that's where I'd start.

Profile Facebook